Thursday, April 13, 2006

The 20th London Lesbian and Gay Film Festival

My friend Glyn and I went to see the film Boy Culture on the last night of the LLGFF (London Lesbian and Gay Film Festival) more about the film in a moment but firstly a little about this years Festival.
Maybe it’s a sign of old age but I find it increasingly difficult to excuse poor service and bad organization just because it happens to be for a “good cause” I’ve always supported the festival and this year marks its 20th anniversary which is a great achievement…. But I this years line up of films was pretty weak and much as I like films like Auntie Mame, (1958) Johnny Guitar (1954) and Calamity Jane (1953) I’m not sure they belong at the festival, in all there were over a dozen old pictures being shown along with screenings of contemporary films which have already received a mainstream releases or were a few years old.

It would have been far better to screen the newer works more times, than “pad out” the festival with old chestnuts like these. I also get increasingly frustrated with their website which makes booking difficult and the fact that many of the most popular films sell out too quickly but when you get there you find many of the tickets were complimentary and people don’t show up. Last night I attended a “sell out” performance and had six empty seats next to me. My friend who accompanied me last night admitted he had attended several complimentary screenings and not sat through the entire film for any of them, meanwhile people wanting to attend (and pay) are turned away.
Surely the idea is to bring new works to as wide an audience as possible? Let’s hope next years festival addresses these issues.
Ok Gripe over, onto the film…..

Boy Culture
Directed by:Q Allan Brocka
With:Patrick Bauchan, Derek Magyar, Darryl Stephens
Country:USA
Year of Production:2006
Running Time:85 minutes

This is gay life as it is so often stereotyped, but cut through with real heart, intelligence and emotional integrity. Boy Culture turns you on, makes you think about your own relationships and leaves you with a smile on your face.

My Thoughts
I really like this film it had a tightly crafted funny script that with the exception of about 10 minutes in the middle kept up a cracking pace without trivialising the characters or glossing over the situations. The cast especially Derek Magyar as X were exceptionally good and the "family" they portrayed were believable and honestly drawn characters. The happy ending the audience had been rooting for all along made for a really enjoyable film that left me feeling good and more importantly entertained me. I f I had one gripe it would be the somewhat poor sound but it was a minor point. So it’s not Visconti, but its fun and it works.
*** Stars

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»